Comment: Towing a vehicle 450 kms in the desert

Hi Megan & Kevin
We will be travelling the CSR next July and I was wondering what internet connection you used for your blogs. I would like my son to be able to blog his trip for his classmates and was told that satellite was expensive and not comprehensive. Would appreciate your advice - thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 00:55

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 00:55
Hi Richard
Good to hear from you. It would be great to take children on the CSR. We took our 9 year old grand daughter across the Simpson in 2007 and everything went perfectly. She loved it! Blogging is a bit tricky. I prepared the Blog as I went, but was not able to send it to Exploroz until I reached a town with internet access. The relevant places were Wiluna, Newman, Leonora, Kalgoolie and Alice Springs. It would be great to have a Sat phone but I suspect that they are not all that reliable. We had use of one along the Hay River in the NT in 2007 but connecting with satellites was quite problematic. Mick O on this website might be able to give you more info on Sat phones.
You will probably be able to maintain your son's interest in writing the Blog and having photos ready in a suitable size for when you reach a town. Just locating the place to send it from or having a card to do it from should keep him interested. Caravan parks often have wireless connection (via your credit card or by buying access from reception). At other places you can use internet cafes or similar - having already written your blog and prepared your photos saves heaps of time.
All the best for your trip. Happy to help with info or advice. Megan
AnswerID: 547199

Sponsored Links